| Welcome | Foundations | Bug Advocacy | Test Design | Exploratory Testing | Taking Exams | Policies | Extras | Instructors Course | Metrics | Engineering Ethics |
Welcome to the Black Box Software Testing course
Please Note: BBST is a Registered Trademark of Kaner, Fiedler & Associates.
This site provides Creative
Commons-licensed instructional materials (slides and videos)
to teach black box software testing. Black box testing is the
craft of testing a program from the external view.
We've organized the materials into self-contained sections. Click on
the tabs to navigate from section to section.
The first sections correspond to the BBST ® course series: professional development courses
taught by the Association
for Software Testing, by Kaner, Fiedler & Associates, and by other professional development trainers. For example, the Foundations tab takes
you to materials used in the BBST-Foundations course. We also use
these materials in graduate and undergraduate university
- The later sections are currently used only in academic
courses. We are gradually upgrading these into their own
- We frequently update the course materials. The named
directories ("Foundations", "Bug Advocacy", etc.) will be
stable. However, we will replace files in these directories,
sometimes with files that have different names. NOTE: We will
probably move some topics out of "Additional" into dedicated
We are also developing instructor-support materials, provided under the Instructors Course tab. Normally, someone who wants to teach one of these courses would take the course and then take instructor training:
- We've designed some materials to support self-study and self-training. This will probably be the preferred option for informal study groups who want to train themselves in software testing.
- The Association for Software Testing supervises
instructors-in-training. To certify you as an instructor, AST currently requires you to successfully complete the course, then teach it under supervision several
times and complete the instructor's course.
- Kaner, Fiedler & Associates will customize instructor training for organizations that want to train a large number of staff and sustain that training with their own trainers. Please contact us at BBST-at-kaner-dot-com.
- Within reasonable limits, subject to time availability, Kaner and Fiedler are glad
to provide free help to teachers at nonprofit colleges and
Commercial instructors, companies that want to use these
materials in-house, and for-profit universities are welcome to use
our slides and videos subject to the usual restrictions of an Creative Commons
Attribution license: You must explicitly acknowledge us as the
authors and copyright-holders of every slide of ours that you
use. There is no charge to use the materials. However, if you
want my help or the help of my collaborators or students, we will have
to charge a consulting fee.
Your suggestions and bug reports are very welcome. Please contact us
Cem Kaner, J.D. Ph.D.
Director: Center for Software Testing Education & Research